Pebbles Pre-School is committed to promoting equality of opportunity for children in our care, both current and prospective, including support for children with special educational needs or disabilities.
We aim to:
- Provide a secure environment in which all our children can flourish and in which all contributions are valued.
- Welcome and value the contribution of all our families to our understanding of equality and diversity.
- Provide positive non stereotyping information about gender roles, diverse ethnic and cultural groups and disabled people.
- Improve our knowledge and understanding of anti-discriminatory practice, promoting equality and valuing diversity.
- Making inclusion a thread which runs through all our activities.
The legal framework for this policy is the Equality Act 2010 Our Methods:
- We have a member of staff who is responsible for Equality and Diversity.
- Our setting is open to all members of the community.
- We advertise widely and our information is in clear concise language whether spoken or written form.
- We base our admissions policy (see separate policy) on a fair system.
- We do not discriminate against a child or their family, or prevent entry to our setting on the basis of colour, ethnicity, religion, social background, sexual orientation (such as being a member of a travelling community or asylum seeker).
- We do not discriminate against a child with special educational needs or disabilities or prevent entry to our setting.
- We develop a plan with other agencies to ensure that children with disabilities can participate successfully in our setting.
- We take action against any discriminatory behaviour of staff or parents. Any such incidents will be dealt with in the strongest manner.
- Posts are advertised and applicants judged against explicit and fair criteria.
- Applicants are welcome from all backgrounds and posts are open to all. The applicant who best meets the criteria is offered the post, subject to DBS checks.
- All job descriptions include a commitment to equality and diversity as part of their specifications.
Training for Staff:
- We seek out training opportunities for staff to help them develop anti- discriminatory and inclusive practices.
- We review our practices to ensure we are fully implementing our policy for equality, diversity and inclusion.
Our Provision at Pebbles Pre-School
The curriculum that we offer encourages children to develop positive attitudes about themselves as well as to people who are different from themselves.
We do this by:
- Making children feel valued and good about themselves.
- Ensuring that children have equality of access to learning.
- Children who are not yet potty trained are welcome at Pebbles Pre-School and staff will liaise with parents about how best to support them.
- Recognising the different learning styles of girls and boys, making appropriate provisions within the curriculum to ensure each child receives the widest possible opportunity to develop their skills and abilities.
- Positively reflecting the wide range of communities in the choice of resources.
- Avoiding stereotypes or derogatory images in the selection of books or other visual materials.
- Working in partnership with parents to ensure that medical, cultural and dietary needs of children are met.
- Celebrating a wide range of festivals.
- Creating an environment of mutual respect and tolerance.
- Helping children understand that discriminatory behaviour and remarks are hurtful and unacceptable.
- Ensure the curriculum offered is inclusive of children with special educational needs and children with disabilities.
- Ensuring that children whose home language is not English have full access to the curriculum and are supported in their learning English. Also we will take reasonable steps to provide opportunities for children to develop and use their home language in play and learning.
Valuing Diversity in Families
- We welcome the diversity of family lifestyles and work with all families.
- We encourage children to contribute to stories of everyday life to our setting.
- We encourage all parents to contribute to the life of our setting.
- For families who speak languages other than English, we will find means and ways to support them in their mother tongue and ensure full inclusion.
- We offer flexible payment means for families who require this.